site buttons

Sunday, November 22, 2009

A New Year...

It's amazing how sometimes everything just falls into place... unplugs... flows...
I think it has a lot to do with being pregnant. Somehow being that in tune with LIFE brings all that is precious and sacred to the forefront, and prioritizes everything else. For me, and I suspect many others, it is also a time when my creative juices flow. Life...
*
While I was on a restricted activities schedule, I was able to surf the web alot. In addition to getting addicted to every farm game on Facebook, I also made lots of new connections, and followed the rabbit trail of links on every artistic blog. Thus, I found many treasures and inspirations. There are so many wonderful artists in this world open to sharing their time and talents to help us all discover (or re-discover) the "artist within". And if you're looking to try some new techniques... there is no shortage of tutorials!!! The best part is that some of them are even free!
*
One site I found recently was "Creative Every Day". I was already on fire with the desire to get back to work, creating new prims and paintings. But after browsing this site, I was inspired to accept the challenge of taking time for myself, and create "something" every day. When I saw that it was an anual challenge, and that it started back in January '09, I almost procrastinated and put my goal off until the 1st of the year. But then I thought "NO WAY"!!! "Today is the first day of the rest of my life", and I am not putting it off! Procrastinating is one of my personality flaws, and I thought I would not only accept the challenge to become a better artist, but also to become a better person.
*
Check out the Creative Every Day site, and explore the monthly themes and other challenges. I so agree with the philosophy that the more we create, the better we get at what we do. And just being active, keeps that creative momentum going as much as the physical.
Ironically, I had already started a little art journal, just for my personal scribblings. The Creative Every Day site, and others, confirmed that I was on the right path. I keep a larger one with actual art paper, but I also keep a smaller, more "prim" one with me all the time. Call me crazy, but I like the lined paper!!!
*
What I love about all of the "guidelines" I've read about art journalling, is #1: There really is no guideline, except to be faithful to creating "something" at least daily/weekly... as often as possible! And #2: Creative doesn't mean one thing.... So, If I am feeling poetic rather than artistic, I can use my journal to create a written page as well. This is great for me, as I love to express myself with words as much as with art.
*
So, here are a few of the scribblings I've put in my little book this week... And I beg you to remember this quote from Scott Adams... "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." LOL... Yes, there are more than a few mistakes in my little book. But that's part of the process! I did like the way one of the girls I drew came out. She's in my new banner! Love her sweet expression. And I always draw long flowing hair, but when I got to a certain point, I just knew it was time to stop! I love her short/spunky hair.


I'm not thrilled with this one below. The face is too "old" for what I was going for, and she reminds me too much of an aunt. Does that ever happen to you? If one of my pictures reminds me of an actual person, I don't really like it... ??? I know... "goofy".

Don't worry... I won't bore you with every page, every week... LOL! I just hope maybe some of you will join me and begin your own art journals =D
*
So... why the icon of Christ The King, you ask??? Well... It really has been quite a month! As I said earlier, I was considering postponing all of this "new" stuff until the "New Year". Well, the very evening that I decided to start journalling, I was reminded that Catholics all over the world would be celebrating the Feast of Christ The King, this weekend. This feast marks the end of the liturgical/church year. Thus... for me, and millions of other Catholics around the globe, our New Year begins Next weekend, with the First Sunday of the Advent Season!!!
*
How cathartic is that??? Talk about a great time to "let go" and start new!
*
What's more... I just happened to be listening to a CD offered through "Lighthouse Catholic Media". It's called "Becoming the Best Version Of Yourself", featuring Matthew Kelly, a wonderful and inspiring speaker. I had no clue that this particular "talk" was recorded during Advent!
*
Mr. Kelly gives 4 suggestions for Resolutions to help each of us become the best version of ourselves. And unlike PBS motivational speakers, these are solid, and simple to follow! And they address the four basic areas of our lives... Physical, Emotional, Intellectual, and Spiritual. The best part is, one does not have to be Catholic to apply these resolutions. The first 3 are common sense suggestions for every healthy life, and where he suggests the mass for Catholics, one can simply conclude that attending worship services of one's own denomination would be fulfilling Spiritually.
*
Oh... and he suggests keeping a journal!!!
*
Yes, the Lord has surely been confirming this new journey of creativity and growth in my life. It is proven that people who continue to learn their entire life long, keep their brains active and manage to fend off "fading away" and even things like alzheimers disease. (of course, there are always exceptions), but overall, your chances are better if you keep excercizing that ol' noodle in your head, as well as your heart, body, and soul! I think "growing" is the key to a fulfilling and fruitful life. That means a lot of "letting go" and accepting changes, etc.
*
I am excited about all the things that have been happening within me and around me lately. And don't make the mistake of thinking I am on some kind of "high" because everything is going great in my life. To be sure, there are the usual heartbreaks and mishaps. But just as in art, those "heavy brushstrokes" are sometimes the ones that make the painting so much more interesting. They help define all the other colors, and the blend is what makes it all more beautiful...
*
Well... the baby's been crying for 10 minutes while everyone else has tried to calm him. I better sign off and get to doing what I love doing most =D
*
Until the next page.... {{{Hugs}}} & Blessings...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetest friend! Your enthusiasm just jumps right off the page! You challenge me to become recharged, not burnt out! The Lord has been so busy telling me so many things...and though I don't know all the answers yet or even the direction, it is wonderful to know that what we do is valued by our creator! Hug that little baby and all your family an extra time for me!! Love you much,
Mindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails